PureSky Energy is seeking a Director, Engineering who is eager to contribute their expertise in leading design and engineering efforts to support cost-effective energy system projects in the USA, with particular emphasis on solar and/or battery storage projects.
The Director, Engineering manages a team of engineers and has the primary responsibility to lead the design and engineering efforts through the renewable project lifecycle and spanning various engineering disciplines (civil, mechanical, structural, electrical and battery storage). The position coordinates the involvement of PureSky’s engineering team, internal sponsors (such as greenfield, development, and mergers/acquisitions teams), project managers, and external partners (such as Independent Engineers, Equipment Suppliers, Engineering Firms and Utilities).
The Director, Engineering provides leadership and coordination in bringing together the necessary stakeholders to reach optimized designs for our projects at various stages of the project lifecycle. The Engineering Team is responsible for the creation of designs in support of interconnection applications and permit applications. This often includes optimized designs with site plans and electrical drawings required in support of these applications as well as corresponding energy assessments in support of financial modeling and optimization. In later project stages, the design work is passed over to external firms (either an EPC firm or a firm that acts as the Engineer of Record). In this case, the Director, Engineering is responsible for coordinating the quality reviews of engineering designs provided by third parties (e.g., Issued for Construction (IFC) designs, As-Built designs, etc.). When there is a lack of clarity around the design rules and/or market constraints that hinders the ability to arrive at technical solutions, the Director, Engineering works with Authorities (including but not limited to NYSERDA and ISO-NE) to obtain corresponding clarification.
- Oversees the engagement of both in-house designers, engineers, and 3rd party Engineering firms for the delivery/review of technical designs (i.e., site plans, single line diagrams, 3 line diagrams, energy assessments, etc.).
- Evaluates, selects and manages the engagement of 3rd party engineering firms.
- Oversees the progress of design and engineering iterations through the project lifecycle. Collaborates with the Director, Utility & Regulatory Engagement to establish and monitor delivery schedules for Interconnection Applications Submissions/Studies and Permitting deliverables respectively.
- Oversees the effectiveness in achieving optimized designs.
- Validates the quality of designs and confirms acceptable quality of designs from third parties.
- Coordinates reviews of IFC and As-Built drawings with members of the engineering team to provide appropriate and effective quality control.
- Studies the rules and regulations of different ISO markets and utility programs to help identify different revenue streams that maximize the financial benefits of Amp projects and be able to translate business, market and operating rules into technical solutions.
- Supports the decision-making process and risk mitigation plans related to technical issues at the system level.
- Supports senior management and various teams on a variety of other duties as needed.
- 5+ years of professional experience involved in clean energy system projects with emphasis on renewables and energy storage systems. Preference will be given to candidates who have working experience with a project developer.
- Familiarity with market-specific rules, regulations, standards, and codes such as the Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) Program and the New York Value of Distributed Energy Resources (VDER).
- Experience with solar PV plus dc-coupled battery storage solutions in a community solar application is preferred.
- Ability to converse with engineers of various disciplines to discuss Solar PV and battery system concepts, codes, layouts, calculations, and equipment sizing.
- Extensive knowledge of the different phases of clean energy system projects including origination, contracting, design, engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning, testing, operation, and monitoring.
- Extensive knowledge of the design and engineering procedures of renewable energy and energy storage systems.
- Advanced University/College degree in Electrical, Civil, Mechanical or other applicable Engineering discipline.
- Registered or eligible to be registered with a North American professional engineering association.
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook required.
- Proficiency in one or more software programming platform.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and other graphical skills.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills required.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal.
- Highly organized and skillful at working on multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to prioritize multiple and often competing activities.
- Able to prioritize multiple, often competing priorities.
- Self-motivated and committed to excellence, with a ‘can do’ positive attitude.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to coach/influence others.
Annual Salary: $120,000 - $150,000
Bonus Opportunity: 35% of annual salary